Sunday, December 5, 2010

Technological Activism?

The Department of Defense used the Internet in the late 60's/early 70's to protect the country. Other uses in 1989 were for business and made many tasks more convenient (i.e. calculations, data tracking..etc). And now in 2010 we have Facebook to stay in touch and make meaningful connections that would otherwise not be possible, right? I'm not so sure.

The fact is technology serves as an exciting new tool for WOW gamers and number crunchers alike. However, there are societal constructs that are being replaced by impersonal contact via social networks and the like. Is this cure for long distance becoming an incurable disease in itself?
And where do our interpersonal communication skills go if we never talk to people? Yeah, they suck. You can see that through "Customer Service" Departments.

The most recent event that got my blood heated is the Facebook cartoon child abuse awareness movement. On the one hand you could say "It's better than doing nothing. And it promotes awareness." But does it really? There has been way more conversation on Rugrats and Sponge Bob than on the beatings, murders, and rapes happening in our own neighborhoods. So what does it do if it doesn't help any real cause (i.e. no one is collecting donations, no one is promoting volunteer service...etc).

Here's what it does. It makes us complacent. It makes you feel like "Ahh, I'm such a good person." Yeah, not so much. The idea of using technology as a tool to promote awareness is fine, but it does NOT replace actually getting off your butt or your wallet to do something. To be active. To make a real difference. But who am I to say?

This complacency and lack of initiative is a symptom of a bigger issue, the deconstruction of our social infrastructure. Our common spaces to voice our opinion, come together, and fight for a cause are dwindling. When is the last time we attended a Town Hall? Many people have never been to one. What will happen when we lose these connections entirely? Will our passion for social activism be replaced with status updates and profile pic changes?

SN: If you haven't seen WALL-E, you should. It speaks to this subject exactly. That's where we're headed!

On thinking about it, I have noticed disturbing changes in myself lately. I have a terrible habit of not calling people that I care about. I am quicker to text a friend who I miss dearly than pick up a phone (many are out of state). There's always been the excuse of school. But now that I've graduated and don't plan to go back until Fall 2012, there really isn't an excuse. There wasn't ever really an excuse for not keeping up with family and friends. Life is too short to lose communication. Chatting and texting could never replace hearing my friend's laugh or a good game of Egyptian Rat Screw (my favorite card game).

In order to rehabilitate myself (or habilitate myself since this has defined my entire adult life) I have devised a plan to host bi-weekly or monthly get together in an effort to revive the social connections in my life. Maybe I'll call them Personal Interaction Over Facebook (PIOFs). Or Social Revivals. Umm, yeah, I'll work on that. But the idea is to host get togethers with folks and share valuable input on current events and life changes..etc in order to revive the social connections that we're losing. Have a pot-luck, get some games out, laugh and talk into the night. The good 'ol days.

Is technology deconstructing your social connections? Are you comfortable with it?
========================================================================
---Hey sup.
-Nothin. U?
---Chillin'.
-Koo.
---lol. K. ttyl.
-cya. :)

Our text conversations are so meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment